Ultramarine - Blackwaterside
Blackford Hill - BH003S
n August 2016 Ultramarine created a photo film featuring photographs from Ian Cooper's Survey East website which focuses on a particular stretch of the Blackwater Estuary in Essex.
The film (and accompanying soundtrack) was screened on rotation at the Caught By The River Thames festival at Fulham Palace in London.
For this original Blackwaterside audio/print project, Ultramarine created two new pieces of music inspired by their time working close to the estuary. Glasgow based printmaker/sculptor Bronwen Sleigh visited this remote corner of Essex to sketch and draw, using these visual references to create a lithograph, printed in three colours, which features on the cover of the book accompanying the 7" single.
The book features a series of Ian Cooper's original photographs, alongside poetry by the writer Philip Terry, inspired by the Essex coast, taken from his book Quennets.
- Originally released by publishing imprint Random Spectacular
- Re-released by Blackford Hill with obi strip
- 7" vinyl single
- 28-page booklet of photographs and poetry
- Wraparound cover by printmaker Bronwen Sleigh
- Digital download card (including an extra 16 minutes of bonus audio)
- Limited edition of 350 copies
- Played by Nick Luscombe on BBC Radio 3 'Late Junction'
- Played by Gideon Coe on BBC Radio 6